[no subject]

From: "Julie F. Hesselgesser" <jhesselgesser -at- OXMOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:49:53 -0400

Kevin Freeman wrote:

>She goes on to say that if the developer's need to be told that, then "We
hired the
> wrong person!"

I've heard this same concept stated many different ways. That's why
technical writers are so important to a project. They are often the only
user advocate for the software or documentation. Anyway, I asked an SME
(subject matter expert) to define the following:

Euclidean Distance
Tanamoto Coefficient
Fuzzy Substructure

These are selections that appear to our users in our software. The SME, a
chemist, said, "If they don't know what that means, they shouldn't be using
our software."

I heard this same argument at my previous job as well. This statement
invariably comes from someone who's worked there a long time and has on
"company person" blinders. I mean THEY understand the product intimately so,
"what's the user's problem?" Is this just a variation of the "stupid user"
phenomenon?

Jules