'author' vs. 'write'

Subject: 'author' vs. 'write'
From: Mary Howe <thunder -at- IDIR -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:44:15 -0500

Here's a picky little question:

What is the difference between the verbs 'to author' and 'to write'?
I've never used 'author' myself because I just thought it was a social
dialect variation (like 'home' and 'house', 'drapes' and 'curtains',
'frosting' and 'icing', etc.).

I'm posting this here because 'to author' appears to have a special
meaning to technical writers. If this turns into a discussion of the
connotations/dialect differences among all the words above, let's take
it to copyediting-l.

Mary
--
Mary Howe