Re: Encyclopaedia-Style Headers in Word

Subject: Re: Encyclopaedia-Style Headers in Word
From: KFuhlbrig <kfuhlbrig -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 09:37:33 -0400

<< I have defined the problem as this (though I may be completely
off
the beam): I need a way to pick up the current Heading 1 numbering
andtext,
and place it on the touside edge of the page headers. (Frame does this
quite
easily, but this seems to be because it 'knows' more about what it is
doing
in various paragraphs than Word does.)>>

Susan,

I know of two ways to work this: the "real" way, and a workaround. Of
course, the only one I've actually used is the workaround. ;)

First, the "real" way. Word uses cross-references to build its table of
contents, indices, etc. You can insert a cross-reference field in the
header that looks for instances of Heading 1 in the document. Word will
search for the last instance of the Heading 1 style and insert the text
(or whatever you want the cross-reference to show).

The only potential problem I see with this is the following. If you do not
put a hard page break between sections, your header might show a previous
Heading on the same page as a new section start with a new Heading.
Please note, I do not *know* that this is a problem...in fact, if anyone
*does* know for sure, please tell me!

Now, the "workaround". You can bookmark each heading, and insert a
bookmark reference in the header of each section. This is a pain, because
you have to repeat the process for *each* section, but I have used it. It
works.

Good luck

Kathryn