Re: CBT (Computer Based Training)

Subject: Re: CBT (Computer Based Training)
From: Tracy Boyington <tboyi -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 08:12:33 +0000

> Anyone written CBT's? I may be doing just the informational part (not the
> programming), based on existing info (for the application) and models (for
> the CBT format).
>
> Is this as straightforward as it seems, or are there dragons behind those
> doors?

I'm working on one right now (only the "informational part" this
time, but I hope to do the authoring next time). And yes, here
be dragons -- but not very big ones.

Plan, plan, plan. And then plan some more. Here are some
things to think about:

1. Do you want the learner to move in a linear way or to be able to
bounce wherever they want? You don't want to say "as you learned
earlier" if they haven't.

2. Do you want the learner to be able to exit at any time, at certain
points, or not at all?

3. Are you going to test? If so, how? When? And will your authoring
system support it?

4. Is the learner familiar with the computer environment?

Most of the big nasty dragons are on the authoring end. At least the
ones we've found.

Tracy