Re: Sex discrimination (was Who are we?)

Subject: Re: Sex discrimination (was Who are we?)
From: Ann Sweeney <sweeney -at- CINTERACTIVE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 09:23:39 -0400

Just because a profession has more of one type of employee (e.g., women,
minorities) than another (e.g., nonminority men) doesn't mean that the
majority employees don't face discrimination.

When evaluating this situation, we should look at who has power and
influence, not just keep score of how many of which kinds of people there are.

In my experience (15 years in publishing prior to my current position), the
women far outnumbered the men but--for the most part--upper-level managers
were men, not women.

Ann Sweeney

>John Posada wrote:
>
>>In my group, there are 4 men, 2 women, and my boss is a woman.
>>The group I do the work for has 3 women and 3 men.
>
>>Seems pretty 50/50 to me.
>
>Is in my situation as well. Two male colleagues, one female
>colleague, one female boss.
>
>>I find it a little hard to believe that a professional dominated
>>almost three-quarters by females could have a pattern of discrimination
>>against them.
>
>Cheers,
>John
>
>john_trollope -at- watsonwyatt -dot- co -dot- uk (work)
>john -dot- trollope -at- easynet -dot- co -dot- uk (home)
>
>http://easyneb.easynet.co.uk/~john.trollope/scripts/
>Javascripts for technical writers and translators

>to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
>browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html

Ann Sweeney
Cambridge Interactive
124 Mt. Auburn Street