Re: Clue me in

Subject: Re: Clue me in
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 11:48:43 -0500

Hi,

This is kind of going off on a tangent from your original question,
but I thought it might be of interest.

I work for a small (<20 employees) computer engineering company.
We don't use HTML help here, but we do put all of our project
documentation on-line using HTML.

Our internal project web-site includes:
- requirements documents
- design documents
- work breakdown documents
- technical datasheets
- vendor names, addresses and contact info
- an on-line system for reporting ECNs (Engineering Change Notices)
- an ECN repository, complete with illustrative diagrams
- schematics, parts lists and autocad drawings
- meeting minutes

Netscape and MSIE can both handle all kinds of extensions, so I have
the web pages link to all kinds of documents -- Word documents,
spreadsheets, PDF files etc. I haven't found a format yet that I can't
deal with one way or another. I started it on a whim (to be honest), but it

quickly grew and took on a life of its own, as the engineers realized that
they weren't going to have to keep huge binders of documents (and
revisions). The current revision is always on the web-site, and they know
that I can find old revisions for them if necessary. For us, it makes the
information much more quickly accessible that paper methods. And when
the project winds down, we burn the web-site material into a CD, instead
of keeping shelves full of binders.

As a Technical Writer, I'm finding all of this very exciting and
interesting.
I get to organize project information that I might not otherwise have seen,

and by organizing it, I've found that I've automatically become more
involved
in project planning. The result is that I'm more involved in what's going
on
in the project than I would have been had I just stuck to writing manuals.
And, because I know more about the project details, it's helping me write
better documentation (I think!).

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com