Who are we?

Subject: Who are we?
From: Mary Horodyski <mary -at- INFOLYTICA -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 11:57:06 EDT

Two snips from recent mail suggest that most of us are women with "hard"
technical backgrounds (see below for the snips). When I called the STC's head
office this morning, I was told that the US Bureau of Statistics gives the
figures as 50/50. The STC membership breakdown is approximately 64% women and
36% men. The greater participation of women in the STC is because "women's
journals" encourage women to be active in associations and societies. (It is
not clear to me what is meant by "women's journals" -- the STC employee
couldn't give me any additional information). No info was available on
educational background.

Can anyone else point me in the direction of statistics on who we are? (where
"we" means technical communicators, writers, editors).

I am asking because I am curious and also because I will be speaking
(briefly) about technical communication as a profession on a community radio
show about women and technology (it would be nice to have some facts, eh?).

Sorry if this is way off topic. Feel free to reply offline.

Mary Horodyski

snips...

Donald T. Robertson wrote:

Like many (if not most) on the TECHWR-L list, I have a hard technical
background: Ph.D. physical organic chemistry.

Tim Alton wrote:

I find it a little hard to believe that a professional dominated
almost three-quarters by females could have a pattern of discrimination
against them.
--
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Mary Horodyski email: mary -at- infolytica -dot- qc -dot- ca