Re: Acknowledge Resumes?

Subject: Re: Acknowledge Resumes?
From: Tracy Boyington <tboyi -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 15:17:54 +0000

> Certainly do not tell these applicants that you cannot hire them "at this
> time." That implies you might hire them later.

This reminds me of a sketch, either on Saturday Night Live or some
similar show, about a group of friends who believed everything they
heard.

"Guess what? They didn't hire me, but they said they'd _keep my
resume in their file!_"
"Wow, that's great! You've got one foot in the door!"

> However, your post does bring a question to my mind and to the list:
>
> To err is human...must technical communicator's be flawless? What qualities
> do managers look at most critically?
>
> Many a high-stess situation has brought many a typo into my life.

The errors pointed out in the original post were NOT typos. They were
clearly written by people who didn't write well enough to be
professional writers. Now, whether typos are acceptable is another
subject... one I hope we can let lie like the sleeping dog it is. But if
you can't write, you're not qualified to be a technical writer.

Back to the original question... If I were Barb, I would send a form
letter to the non-interviewables that says "your qualifications do not
meet our needs for this position," because they obviously don't.

Tracy