Re: Resume ideas

Subject: Re: Resume ideas
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 12:46:51 -0700

Interesting suggestions, Buck.

I've had incredible luck with my resume. It's two pages, but I use a
slightly thicker stock and double side it.

The front side looks like a standard resume:
--experience/skills summary (this is where I highlight details, provide
functional perspective i.e., 3 years software documentation, 5 years
technical writing, and I taylor it to the employer)
--education
--employment history (very brief, names, dates, locaton, one sentence
about the work, job title(s)) [note: I put full references on a
separate sheet and provide at an interview]
--all jobs skills (software, etc.).

On the second page is a list of related projects, which is also tailored
to the job I'm applying for. This may be a help system, a user guide,
procedure manual, proposal, etc. I include what the project is, usually
the audience, sometimes who I did it for, any special software used. I
also try to mention something unusual about the project: "the challenge
here was..."

This second page really seems to catch people's eye. Last year when I
was looking for a job, with a little experience but not a lot, I sent
out 21 resumes over about two weeks and got 18 interviews (and a couple
of offers). Every person commented on that second page, and I quickly
learned to match the portfolio I brought to the projects I listed and
that really made a big hit.
Sella Rush
sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems, Inc. (ATS)