Re: Purpose of document review process?

Subject: Re: Purpose of document review process?
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 17:09:05 +0800

Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM> said:
> I worked with a system administrator who wanted to take over the world
> so he could replace all written and spoken languages with a language that
> has a mathematical base, so it could be more precise and for some other
> reasons I can't remember. When I asked him about nuance and beauty, he
> looked at me strangely. He was just joking, of course...well, mostly.

George Orwell wrote a book about some people who did just that. They
reasoned that, if the language were restricted to a few simple, unambig-
uous words, people would be unable to express or even think complex,
dangerous thoughts. They even had people rewrite old newspapers and
documents in this 'Newspeak', to remove dangerous thoughts from history.

The name of the book was a number, too.

Plusgood thinks
---
Stuart Burnfield (slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au)
Room 101
Functional Software Pty Ltd