Re[2]: Technical Writers and Programming Skills

Subject: Re[2]: Technical Writers and Programming Skills
From: Kathleen Padova <kpadova -at- ASICENTRAL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 16:29:00 -0500

I have decided to learn more about programming based on the discussions and job
postings to this list.

I don't want to program. I don't think I even want to read code. As I am
becoming more involved in the design phase of applications, I think it would be
helpful to understand the programming tools and what they are capable of doing.

Our programmers don't want to know how to write and compile help systems; but
they are interested in the tool and what it can produce. Now they understand
that you can't just "cut and paste" topics from one help file into another and
at least come bearing baked goods when they need the help changed at the last
minute :)

My boss and I were at a computer store with a good book section. He recommended
several books that were on the discount shelves but still contained the basics
of what I was trying to understand.

I purchased a book on VB 4.0 and a book on Windows 95 programming for $5.00
each. I spent a little more money on a Modems for Dummies book (we do alot of
electronic commerce applications).

My boss (a former programmer) is going to incorporate some programming training
into our weekly user doc department meetings. Specifically, how the various
programming tools are used by our development team and how data is handled by
our production group.

I think my job would be easier if I understood at least one programming
language.

my 2 cts.

--kathleen p
kpadova -at- millstar -dot- com