Re: Need Recommendation for Frame 5 book

Subject: Re: Need Recommendation for Frame 5 book
From: Tom Hoyt <thoyt -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 10:04:52 -0800

Trish,

>I will soon get Frame 5 for Windows and plan on
>teaching myself how to use it. Any recommendations on books
>that will help me out? Any I should avoid? Any useful Websites
>I should visit?

I highly recommend you get to know the Frame documentation that comes with
the software. It is very good. I also recommend "Mastering FrameMaker 5"
by Tom Neuburger (SYBEX, 1996) ISBN 0-7821-1712-0 and "Learning Adobe
FrameMaker" (Adobe Press, 1996) ISBN 1-56830-290-8. The Adobe book will
help you learn everything a beginning user needs to know. If you can
afford it, take a class from an Adobe-certified trainer so you can learn
some good habits early on. Also, subscribe to the Framers list at
http://www.workingtogether.com

>As an entry-level tech writer, is it better to know Frame or Pagemaker?

I would make it a goal to learn both programs over the next year or so.
The more you know in this business the more marketable you are in the
future.

Tom Hoyt thoyt -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Senior Technical Editor
QUALCOMM, Inc.