Re: cover letters...

Subject: Re: cover letters...
From: "James H. Johnson" <jamesj -at- BITSTREAM -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 11:55:49 -0500

Becca Price wrote:

> I've been asked to send a resume to a friend's company; they're a small
> start-up, and don't currently have a tech writer, but need one badly.
> I've been asked to send a resume with a cover letter explaining why
> the company needs me... and my mind is blank today.

I'd focus on how your abilities meet their current and future needs

If they're small, for example, they'll need a generalist who can handle
everything from concept to camera-ready.

Since they hope to grow you should talk about how you can help them as
their needs expand.

The it never hurts to mention how you've always dreamed of working for a
small company (about to get big) that does whatever it is they do.

Good luck,

Jim Johnson
Instructional Design/Business Writing
Minneapolis