Re: Half Day Interview

Subject: Re: Half Day Interview
From: Brad Barnes <kiwi -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 23:17:55 -0700

At 03:14 PM 5/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>A potential employer of mine said they would like me to spend "at least
>a half a day" with them for an interview.
>
>What in the world would we do over a half day?! Should I prepare for it
>any any differently than I would other interviews?
>
>Thanks,
>Michael

A couple years ago, my second round of interviews at a major software
company lasted from 10:00 A.M. until 4:30 P.M. I met with about eight or
nine people that day: another technical writer, some managers, and various
engineers. Each interview was scheduled for 30 minutes. All the interviews
went well, except for one. The best interviews were quite engaging and
lasted 45 minutes or so. The one bad one lasted less than two minutes. The
good side of such a long interview process is that I got good practice in
answering many of the same questions over and over and over again. The
downside was that I was exhausted by around mid-afternoon.

(P.S. I got a job elsewhere.)

Brad Barnes
Technical Writer
Resumix, Inc.