Re: Estimating Editing Time...

Subject: Re: Estimating Editing Time...
From: Michelle Corbin Nichols <tigger -at- VNET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 07:27:11 -0400

>Clark Cone asked:
> I need information about estimating time for the editing portion of a
> technical writing project. There are formulas for calculating the
> number of pages a day for writing, but I haven't been able to find
>anything similar for editing. It would be more helpful yet if the
>information is broken out into the levels of edit.

I work as a Development Editor at Vetnana, a computer book publisher. Last
year, I was asked to develop a metric of how many pages DevEditors could do
in an hour. Development Editing is sometimes called Substantive Editing,
but I don't think this is a fair connection in most publishing worlds.

As a Development Editor I look for organizational issues, at the paragraph
level and the chapter/book level. I look for major stylistic issues (do
not mark them, but if I notice them I point them out to the author). I look
for logical, consistent, and useful thought in their sentences, paragraphs,
chapters and make sure that the target audience can follow along. I work
directly in an MS Word file, using revision marking.

So, for about 4-6 weeks, I literally timed myself on how long it took me to
do various chapters of various books. I kept track of (1) quality of
writing (good/mediocre/bad), how technical the information was
(very/somewhat/not-at-all), and then how many hours it took me to complete
the chapter.

I discovered that I could do approximately 12 pages in an hour, on average.
I got as high as 16 pages an hour and as low as 8 pages an hour. Many
felt that this was very high and too aggressive a metric for our editing,
but during that time I worked on end-user books, advanced programming
books, design books, etc. It has turned out to be a good guage for me
estimating how long it will take me to complete a chapter that comes in.

TTFN,
Michelle Corbin Nichols