Re: Estimating Editing Time...

Subject: Re: Estimating Editing Time...
From: Kirstin Mercer <kirstin -at- CYBERCASH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 10:30:32 -0400

Clark Cone wrote:

> I need information about estimating time for the editing portion of a
> technical writing project. There are formulas for calculating the
> number of pages a day for writing, but I haven't been able to find
> anything similar for editing. It would be more helpful yet if the
> information is broken out into the levels of edit.

Here are some of the guidelines we used at my last job (if I remember
correctly, they are loosely based on EEI's time estimate guidelines):

Substantive edit
3 pages/hour

Copyedit
5 pages/hour

Proofreading edit
10 pages/hour

Quality Control edit (basically glancing through right before it goes off to
the printer to make sure everything's there, etc.)
25 pages/hour

Rewrite (if you're actually rewriting as you do a substantive edit)
2 pages/hour

Kirstin Mercer
Senior Technical Editor
CyberCash, Inc.