Reference to URLs

Subject: Reference to URLs
From: Karen Felker <akaren -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 21:31:26 +0000

I'm writing instructions for a software package that lets users search a
database by using a specific algorithm designed by the Nat'l Center for
Biotechnology Information (NCBI). To do all this, the software goes
through the Internet to get to the search programs. NCBI has quite an
extensive Web site with lots of information, including the search
programs.

My question is, how much of this stuff should I reproduce in the user's
manual? I figure to use the search, they will have to have Internet
Access anyway, so why not refer then to the Web page? Some of you might
see this as laziness, but then why should I waste paper on something
that's already clearly documented? The URL is not likely to go away
soon.

Comments, anyone?

Karen Felker
AKaren -at- earthlink -dot- net