Help or User Manual First?

Subject: Help or User Manual First?
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 23:53:04 +0100

Hello,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von guruk -at- GIASBM01 -dot- VSNL -dot- NET -dot- IN an All am 30.04.97

gg> I have been asked to write a user manual and help for a banking
gg> application (PowerBuilder). Normally, I feel the user manual
gg> should be written first and then the Help can be created by
gg> using
gg> the stuff from the user manual. I am interested in knowing
gg> what is the best way to handle this situation.

you see a problem where I see none: Put the stuff appropriate for paper
documentation on paper and the information appropriate for online to Winhelp
(or what you use).

The user might need some paper to install the program and to do his first
peeks into it. You might be able to write that well ahead. Put most of the
rest
into the online documentation. Hardly anyone reads paper anymore...

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)