Re: Online Help for Java Apps

Subject: Re: Online Help for Java Apps
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 00:39:53 -0700

Greetings, all!

For the last week, I've just sorta been surfing thru the digest, busy busy
busy documenting a Java app...

The app is supposed to be pretty transparent to the end user, so I didn't
figure I needed to include WinHelp and AppleGuide stuff... the docs I'm
writing are for the people who're supposed to administer the sites...

Someone mentioned in here something about syntax descriptions... and the
gobs of syntax-descriptions we did at Honeywell started tickling the back
of my mind...

Somebody else mentioned WinHelp-to-AppleGuide (I think), and I hafta go
back and look that up <smile>

Sunday I shipped the third phase of the project to my customer... a new
beta for the product came out tonight and obviated a third of the manual by
eliminating seperate HTML config files... and now they want a description
of the syntax of the apps...

And What to my Wondering Eyes should appear but John and Mary's thread....

I'm starting to pay attention! I think I need to reevaluate my doc plan
here a tiny bit...

Also, I should mention that Tuesday's MacWEEK has a blurb in their Gateways
section touting J*Star's "WiredWrite" product, which is supposed to cleanly
convert Word and Frame files to Java-applets... a public-beta should be
available from J*Stars RSN at <http://www.jstars.com/ >

Everything I ever learned about Subjunctive Parable Routines in COBOL is
Wrong!!!!!

Recursive Allegory Classes are the way to go, fellow Techwhirlers; and I
have SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!!!

... it's all clear to me now.

I *love* the bleeding edge of technology <smile>

>Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 11:58:44 -0400
>From: Mary McCauley-Stiff <Mary_McCauley-Stiff -at- STRATUS -dot- COM>
>I am also documenting a Java application. I have already sent *really*
>detailed information to John Engler on what I am doing, so let me know
>if you want me to send it to you also.

I'd kill for this info.... got another contract starting next week! Must...
finish... this one....

>Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 10:21:01 -0600
>From: John Engler <jengler -at- SPILLMAN -dot- COM>
>Our company is developing a Java application (our first) and I'm
>wondering what the options for on-line help are ....
>
>Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 08:37:01 -0400
>From: Jon Steiner <jons -at- AVI -dot- COM>
>Subject: Re: Online Help for Java Apps
>
>I just finished this!
>
>The JDK has its own utility, Javadoc, which documents Java APIs in HTML.
>I didn't know this when I started, so I ended up doing things the hard
>way. The very hard way.

Many thanks to John for the detailed process!!!

Dan BRINEGAR Information Developer/Research Droid/Mac Guy

http://vr2link.com/ <--- Under Construction

"My friends: Everything we ever learned about Subjunctive Parable Routines
in COBOL is Wrong!!!!!
Recursive Allegory Classes are the way to go I have SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!!!
[Feast.Java -- ProdigalOffspring.Class -- MammalianLivestock.Obj]
... it's all clear to me now."

djb -at- vr2link -dot- com