Re: Bad Employers/Clients List???

Subject: Re: Bad Employers/Clients List???
From: "Nyman, Rikki" <Rikki -dot- Nyman -at- ALLIEDSIGNAL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 15:18:00 -0700

Concerning a "List" with all of its frightening connotations:

In cruising the Web, I found an online auction site,
http://www.eBay.com. If you haven't looked at it, you might find it
interesting. Functionally, it's very well designed.

I think it would be useful to post information about transactions with
clients/companies we work for, so others in our field can see how they
rate, but only if a company/hiring manager can post at the same time.
It would serve to keep everyone honest.

In a nutshell: The eBay site is set up so when buyers and sellers
complete an auction transaction, they can post to a list where they can
note whether the transaction was good, bad, or neutral. Was the item as
described, was it received quickly, was it packed well? In other words,
was the other party okay to work with? Each posting is limited to 80
characters. Each buyer and seller can look at the information that has
been posted about them, and can see if the other has a reputation for
reneging on a deal or not descibing merchandise accurately. You can
read a list of short comments from many folks. Rather than listing
names of the posters, it has hyperlinked e-mail addresses. If you want
more information, send an e-mail.

I've noticed that most people want a good rating, and when dealing with
complete strangers this feedback database provides some information
about who you're dealing with. Because each entry short, it's pretty
repetititive, but when you see 25 listings for Joe Smith that are "Great
transaction. Would do business again. A++++", it gives you a sense that
you probably won't get burned because that rating is important to Joe,
too.
You can say a lot about your customer/client in 80 characters if you
choose them judiciously.

Gee, we could all design our personal web pages and link to our the
review database for references and e-mail addresses of people we've
worked with. The possiblilities are endless. ;-)

eBay is set up to evaluate individuals, but a similar idea could be
adapted for companies, departments within companies, or individuals.
Just my thoughts on the subject, FWIW.

Rikki
rikki -dot- nyman -at- alliedsignal -dot- com