Re: Keyboard Art

Subject: Re: Keyboard Art
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 03:22:55 -0800

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 23:38:00 -0500, Lori Smith wrote:

>I know I have seen this before on the www, but could somebody direct me
>to the meaning of all those little codes like <snip> and <g>?

There are innumerable web pages out there listing "modem acronyms" or
"net acronyms", but you'll find that many of them are self-expanatory
("<snip>" of course refers to cut-and-paste; usually used when quoting
text in a message), while others, once you have the basics ("<g>" means
"grin"), can be deduced from the context (<eg>=evil grin, <vbg>=very
big grin, etc.)

A few more of the most common ones:
BTW = By The Way
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
ROFL = Rolling On (the) Floor Laughing
ROFLMAO = ... My A$$ Off
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion (although the "humble" part is usually
poster suffering delusions of humility).
TRMOAS = That Reminds Me Of A Story...
TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Again, most can be figured out from the surrounding context by any
decent technical writer (JTMASOBOT -- Just To Maintain A Semblance Of
Being On-Topic; as you see, you can also make up your own :-)

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>