Re: Icons

Subject: Re: Icons
From: Leanne Gerth <insider -at- IMAGENORTH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 21:00:14 -0500

Rob wrote:

<x-quoted>>The manuals I have consulted define "warning, "caution" and "note" but do not
>provide examples of generally accepted icons for each. Can you tell me,
based on
>the following descriptions, if the icons we are creating are acceptable?
>
>WARNING: a triangle with an exclamation point inside it.
>CAUTION: a triangle inside another triangle.
>NOTE: the word "note" with a triangle pointing to the text to the right.
>(lots of triangles!)</x-quoted>

This may be a case where the power of text as a graphical element could come in handy. Why not just type "Caution", "Warning", or "Note" in another font, increase the size, and shove it in the margin just like you would an icon? This way, the user doesn't have to try and interpret what the icon means--it's spelled out for him/her.

Leanne

Leanne Gerth
Image North Technologies
leanne -at- imagenorth -dot- com

Image North has no idea what I'm doing and would like to keep it that way.

TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands to LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU (e.g. HELP or SIGNOFF TECHWR-L). Search the archives at http://www.documentation.com/ or search and browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html