Re: Document Numbering

Subject: Re: Document Numbering
From: Barbara Douma <bdouma -at- MAGI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 07:37:21 -0400

Daniel,

Why not use one of the document information fields to store document
numbers? This lets you escape from the 8.3 format and the field is
searchable using file search tools, making it possible to find documents
using mnemonic names (coupled with a logical directory structure) or file
content searches.

At one site I've worked at, the summary fields were incorporated into the
headers and footers of the document as updatable fields, so that the
document number also appeared on each page.

At 11:34 PM 4/23/97 EDT, Daniel P Read <danielread -at- JUNO -dot- COM> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Has anyone had experiences good or bad with the numbering of documents on
>a large project? There is talk going around above me that we are going
>to come up with a numbering scheme for the project's myriad documents. I
>presume that this will include using the document numbers in 8.3
>filenames. At first blush, I don't like this idea.

snip