Re: Help

Subject: Re: Help
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 07:57:21 -0500

At 04:54 PM 4/25/97 -0700, Jim Newman wrote:

>I am a technical writer/instructor with 24 years experienced and just got
>downsized out after 14 years with my past employer.
>
>I want to get into telecomuting and would like suggestions on how to
>accomplish this goal.
>
>My specialty the past 10 years was Mil-spec Illustrated Parts Breakdowns
>...[schnipp]...

Suggestion #1: Don't be married to one specialty. I realize after 24 years
in the biz you probably know this, but it's important.

>I would also like to obtain lists of technically orientated
>temporary/contract agencies from the major cities on the West coast from
>Seatle to San Diego, Denver, Phoenix and Albuquerque.
>
>Any suggestions or advice on networking, contract work, subcontractor,
>temps etc. would be appreciated.

Suggestion #2: Go to your local Library, and find the Yellow Pages for each
market in which you're interested. Look under each of the industrial
categories that might apply to you. Categories that have worked for me (all
have led to jobs) include:
Engineering (many Engineering firms are "contract")
Writers/Writing
Employment (among the Dolphins and Manpowers are
frequently many technical agencies)
Computer Software and Hardware
Write a list of companies that even MIGHT be possibilities. Put together a
thirty-second sales pitch on who you are, what you do/know, and what you
want to offer. Then, start cold-calling, emailing, hitting websites, or
just snail-mailing your rap sheet (with a followup call, of course).

Suggestion #3: Find various industrial directories for each market. For
example, here in the Twin Cities there are industry association directories
for the Software and Medical Products businesses. Trawling through each,
cold-calling every remotely-likely looking company starting with the A's,
has landed me interviews by the time I got to "C". I'm assuming that there
must be such directories for industries in these other markets. You would
probably know this better than I. Again, the Yellow Pages can point you in
the right direction - check under "Business Directories", maybe?

>Is there a tutorial on Java that can be downloaded?

Hit http://www.javasoft.com/nav/download/index.html

It has a complete list of tutorials AND JDK downloads.