Eng. v. Mktg. (was Re: Job Posting: Technical Marketing Writer)

Subject: Eng. v. Mktg. (was Re: Job Posting: Technical Marketing Writer)
From: "Wilcox, John (Contractor)" <wilcoxj -at- WDNI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:51:00 -0700

Melonie Holliman wrote:

>It did get me thinking about the marketing vs. engineering
>thing, though. Does anyone else feel pulled between the
>two? I feel like there is a war going on in my company.
>Is this normal for the software development process?

I have found the dichotomy between Engineering and Marketing to be so
universal that it could qualify as a natural law, perhaps even a
scripture ("Engineering hath no concord with Marketing.").

Diane Burke wrote:
>Absolutely! My experience is that Marketing's focus is "What
>does the user need/want?" while Engineering's focus is
>"What can we provide?".

Hmm. Interesting. I'd have to disagree. Seems to me that
Engineering's focus is more like what you say Marketing's is, while
Marketing's is more like "What can we make the user believe even if it's
not true?" I would also compare them by saying that Engineering deals
in facts while Marketing deals in deception.

"Marketing -- where the rubber meets the sky." -- Unknown