What do you call it when

Subject: What do you call it when
From: Michael Hassett <mhasset -at- QUARTZ -dot- IDBSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 13:01:23 GMT+7

I'm not sure what you call it, but I think that one of the reasons
for doing so is to trademark a word. In fact, I think I remember
that from an earlier discussion on this list. You can't trademark
the words "quick view" because they are in common use. But, when you
hook them together and put in the odd capitalization, you have a
trademark: QuickView. Now, I'm no lawyer, I'm just repeating what I
remember reading along the way, so I won't attempt to support this
perspective in any respectable forum (and please don't quote me in
one).

Michael Hassett
Assistant Professor
English
Boise State University
mhasset -at- quartz -dot- idbsu -dot- edu
(208)385-4211
http://www.idbsu.edu/english/mhassett/hassett.htm