Re: Terminal Font

Subject: Re: Terminal Font
From: AlumsHubby -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:46:34 -0400

Frank -dot- Harper -at- ES -dot- ATL -dot- SITA -dot- INT (Frank Harper) said, in part...

>I am documenting a new project that is DOS-based and uses the
>terminal font to draw screens. Does anyone know of a TT or
>Adobe (or anyother foundry) font that mimics that font in
>print? The only one close is the IBMPCDOS font (TT I think)
>but it is not satisfactory because the paragraph ending markers
>are a large vertical bar.

LucidaSans from Adobe is one good font for this situation. First of all,
it's true monospace, so screens won't look goofy; but even better, it's
actually readable compared to more authentic-looking fonts that try to mimic
the IBM VGA char set exactly, right down to the jaggies.

At my last workplace, we created long manuals on Macintoshen using PageMaker
and later, Frame. We'd been using Courier for both screens and report
images. We were much happier with the results, and we believed the change
helped readability. We decided to retain Courier for report images.

Hope this helps.

Bill McClain (AlumsHubby -at- aol -dot- com)