Re: Proposal writing (not long)

Subject: Re: Proposal writing (not long)
From: William Blank <wmblank -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 17:40:32 EDT

Someone wrote about proposal writing:

>With this last project, I wrote up a project plan..... It included
everyone's
>responsibilities, dependencies, and deadlines. I forgot that most
>people don't read this sort of thing, so next time I'm going to go over
>it verbally as well.

Verbally won't help; they'll miss your meeting or forget they agreed.

The trick here is to put a cover memo on the project plan asking (very
non-defensively, very non-threateningly) for it to be initialed and
returned by a certain date with one of the appropriate boxes checked:
either "approved", "approved with comments", or "see me".

By the day after that date, you can start bugging them for their
comments/approval, and if they continue to stall, you can procede to
whatever next steps you want to take whenever it seems most efficacious
to do them.

William Blank
Technical Writer, Editor, Page Designer
Producing clear, concise, accurate documentation for technical
applications
wmblank -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com