Cross referencing (was "Paper for technical proposal")

Subject: Cross referencing (was "Paper for technical proposal")
From: Kathleen Padova <kpadova -at- ASICENTRAL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:18:00 -0500

Speaking of cross referencing.....

I am trying to develop a format for an internal document which will
primarily be read online. I already know that I will need to have
lots of cross references within the document. I am wondering if I can
insert a cross reference that not only will display the page number;
but jump to the location in the document when the reader clicks on it.
As long as I'm thinking about internal jumps, I might as well include
cross references to external documents.

I have heard that Word97 might be able to do this. However, we have
_finally_ gotten everyone in the company using Win95 and Word 7.0
(except the folks using Macs). I don't know how long it will take to
get everyone up to Word97.

Since this document is considered a "living document" and I want other
people to be able to extract information to use in their own
departmental memos, creating a help file is not practical. Nor is a
collection of .htm files.

Does anyone know of an add-on to Word 7.0 that can create
intradocument jumps? Does Word97 support this?

Thanks in advance,

Kathleen Padova
Millstar Electronic Publishing Group
kpadova -at- millstar -dot- com