Printing Problems with FrameMaker

Subject: Printing Problems with FrameMaker
From: Theresa Perkins <tperkins -at- LEXMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 17:21:32 EDT

Hi, I am cross-posting this problem to the Techwhirlers and Frame lists; please
respond.

Here's the problem:

Currently we are using:

FrameMaker 5.1.1
Linotronic 330 (with Adobe PS 4)
Windows 95

Although we have been using FrameMaker for several years to create user's
guides, technical references and setup sheets, our print vendors have informed
us that we need to change our printing process. Apparently, FrameMaker is not
up to date with the PrePress software our print vendors are using. When we
PostScript our files using our normal process, FrameMaker does not provide the
color information that allows the print supplier's imposition software to
create the separation. This has been narrowed down to a Framemaker problem.
Adobe is aware of this problem.

Because most of the information we develop is confidential until it is
announced, we send PostScript files (some of which are Pantone color separated)
to the print vendor. We have never sent FrameMaker .doc files.

We have recieved a workaround from Adobe which is supposed to create a
separated postscript file that gives the print supplier the information they
need through the imposition software. But the workaround only differs from our
normal process in that we are being asked to select Optimize for Portability in
the printer driver, which greatly increases the size of our PostScript files.

Note: Our print suppliers have told us that if you use a Macintosh
environment, you will not have this problem. It is definitely a Frame/Windows
95/ driver problem.

My question is, has anyone else used this process? Is your print supplier
asking you to change your process? Have you experienced any problems? If so,
how did you solve them?

If you send all your replies to me directly, I will be happy to compile the
addressed, please direct me to the appropriate location.

Thanks in advance,

Theresa L. Perkins (tperkins -at- lexmark -dot- com)

Delivery Priority: Normal Delivery Report: Basic
Receipt Report: No Personal Categories: