Is It a Good Job?

Subject: Is It a Good Job?
From: Documania <dcma -at- MAIL1 -dot- NAI -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 05:17:59 -0600

Debbie remarked: "...the employees you talk with will not tell you about
the downsides of the company. Their job is to portray the company in its
best light."

True, for the most part. There is a way to get the inside poop, though. I
stumbled upon it as a temp.

You have to be a temp or a contractor, however. You also have to smoke
cigarettes. But the best, most reliable way to learn about the _real_
corporate culture is to stand outside with the smokers. If there's a
problem, you'll hear about it real quick!

Conversely, I found the best company I've yet worked for the same way. The
absence of complaint is what caught my attention. In three weeks I heard
not one syllable of grievance from anyone. This company shared a building
with a very unhappy insurance company, and the contrast between employees'
remarks was dramatic.

Usually I'm glad to be a temp and to get out of wherever I'm working. In
this case, however, I tried hard to extend my assignment or find another
one but there were no openings available. Small wonder! How many happy
companies are going to have open positions?

Carolyn Haley
DocuMania
dcma -at- ct1 -dot- nai -dot- net