Re: Is it a good job?

Subject: Re: Is it a good job?
From: Debbie Molis <dmolis -at- MLJ -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 16:43:55 -0500

I don't believe you can really tell before you're IN the job whether it's
going to be a good one or not.

And it doesn't really matter what other staff you talk with during the
interview process say.

In my last two interview processes for permanent positions that I accepted
(I am now a full-time contractor), I had the luxury of talking with other
staff members before accepting the positions. However, you cannot fully
count on these discussions as indicators of whether you'll be happy in this
job. For one, from my experience, the employees you talk with will not tell
you about the downsides of the company. Their job is to portray the company
in its best light.

Also, once you are in the position, you may be transferred to a new
department, etc...

I think the best advice I could give anyone is: Go with your instincts.

One reason I accepted one of the permanent positions I mentioned above was I
had the sense that I could really like and learn alot from the person who
would be my supervisor. And even though I left the company because of
downsides that everyone was unhappy with but noone mentioned in the
pre-employment discussions, today I still cherish this person as a mentor
and friend and believe the experience was worth it.

In the other position I mentioned, I had reservations, but disregarded them.
From the 2nd day I started, I knew I had made a mistake. If I had followed
my instincts, I would have been happier.

I know my advice isn't necessarily concrete, but I hope it helps!

Debbie Molis
dmolis -at- mlj -dot- com