PC Processing Power

Subject: PC Processing Power
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 11:47:05 +0100

Hello Barry,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von bhouse -at- CREATIVE-HOUSE -dot- COM an All am 28.03.97

bb> From: Barry House <bhouse -at- CREATIVE-HOUSE -dot- COM>

bb> I can tell I'm the lone wolf here, but I've always purchased
bb> computing power
bb> based on what I can afford to spend today, not on what software
bb> I use or the
bb> tasks I have to perform. Software and tasks change too
bb> frequently.

I use a quite different approach but I confess that I enjoy playing Lego with
my computers:

Unless I do a strategic decision (like switching to WinNT or so) I use my
equipment until I feel hampered by it. Then I get some $400 from my bank
account, ride on my bicycle to downtown Nuernberg and get a few computer parts
- a new motherboard, some RAM chips, a CD-ROM drive or what else I feel is
appropriate. Then I update my equipment.

A single component might be sufficient to improve several machines. E.g., 32
MBs of RAM for one machine might set free 8 MBs that I then use to update
another machine from 8 to 16 MBs.

I have not bought a complete box since 1991. I even bought MS-DOS 5 and
Windows 3.1 individually :-)

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)