Re: Word '97 vs. Frame 5.1.1

Subject: Re: Word '97 vs. Frame 5.1.1
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 10:30:18 -0800

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 12:41:05 -0500, SUZANNE PYLE wrote:

>Suzanne replies:
>
>Ok..for all who have asked including Jim, here are my findings:
>
>1. I loaded Office 97 on my machine and I loaded Frame 5.1.1. I didn't do
>any research, because I ASSUMED it would all work. Now I've grown older and
>wiser.

In other words, you've gained a substantial number of grey hairs in a
few short days.. :-)

>6. By this time I decided to call Adobe. Adobe said that sometimes Frame
>will take some Word 95 files as doc, sometimes only rtf. It varies, and
>there's no real bet that it will take anything over Word 6.0 at this point.
>Adobe emphasized, however, that Frame does not support Word 97. And it has
>no plans to do so at this time.

Sounds like Adobe is starting to realize how hard it is to hit a moving
target (MS's Word save-format-du-jour). Kinda like other browsers
tryingto keep up with NS's and MS's competing, made-up HTML tags. Or
like IBM trying to keep up with Win32s support in OS/2: make it work,
and MS will "update" it within a few days so it doesn't.

>There you have it. So, to solve my problem and maybe yours, use only Word
>95 files and probably only use rtf format.

Suggestion: Have Office 97 "Save As" Word 2.0.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>

They say there are strangers, who threaten us
Our immigrants and infidels
They say there is strangeness, too dangerous
In our theaters and bookstore shelves
Those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"