Re: Slamming

Subject: Re: Slamming
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 17:45:04 -0500

Sure, you can say "get thicker skin," and "it's all part of
newsgroups" to have these passionate opinions flying around. To me,
that's the easy way out. We are technical communicators trained in
the art of communication. One would think that our electronic
community would exhibit more of our basic training than the
influences of the Internet as a whole.

I think what some of us have said is that we *do* exhibit it. This is a
very tame discussion group, very civilized. So the flare-ups happen much
less frequently here than other places. A tribute, I would say, to our
skill. That flare-ups still happen I would say is an acknowledgement of our
humanity.

Any time you get 2500+ people together in a room, you're going to have toes
stepped on. It's not possible to avoid that. So our choices seem to be
huddle in a corner to protect our toes and avoid stepping on others, or go
out into the room, meet new people, learn new things, and be prepared to
say "Ouch!" and "Sorry!" when necessary.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224