Developers and electronic mark-ups

Subject: Developers and electronic mark-ups
From: Mary McCauley-Stiff <Mary_McCauley-Stiff -at- STRATUS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 07:43:52 -0500

Hello all,

Has anyone ever allowed (er, enabled) their developers to electronically
markup a document instead of marking it up by hand? Our developers are
interested in making comments/additions electronically to the document
during review time.

We are using FrameMaker95 for our printed docs...the developers do not
have Frame, they use Word 7.0 for their daily tasks.

Here is what I have thought of so far:

* I have consider using Frame's HoTaMaLe/Web Works to convert the docs
to HTML, which they could markup with an HTML editor, but it seems to
take a *lot* of effort to make sure everything looks okay in HTML (I
know, I know...it's the content that's important. But still...)

* I have also considered telling the developers to get FrameMaker (they
could use the UNIX shared version...for a whopping $2595). Since they
wouldn't be using all the features of Frame, they would only have to
learn the basic word-processing tasks. (But am I mistaken that
FrameMaker is the only option...do FrameReader or FrameViewer allow
limited word-processing?)

* I have also considered saving the docs as *.PDF and making the
engineers buy Acrobat, which has limited word-processing of *.PDF docs,
I understand.

I don't particularly care what format the document is in after they mark
it up, as long as I can copy/paste what they have added.

Any suggestions? If anyone out there has a similar situation as I do,
I'd like to hear about it. You can response to the list, or to me via
e-mail.

Thanks,
Mary McCauley-Stiff

mary_mccauley-stiff -at- stratus -dot- com
marym-s -at- mindspring -dot- com