Re: Mid-Topic Jumps and Keywords

Subject: Re: Mid-Topic Jumps and Keywords
From: "NIVA Inc." <NIVA -at- MAGI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:30:42 -0500

On Wed, 12 Mar, Laura Lochridge asked about:

> Mid-Topic Jumps and Keywords

> <snip> can anyone tell me if there are any pitfalls that I should be aware of?

Laura:

The number of lines that follow the final embedded target in a topic need to fill the help window. Otherwise, when you jump to the target, the target line will not appear at the top of the help window, but part way down the window instead.

Now, I know that a "line" is variable in help files, but you can make an informed guess by knowing the typical size of the help window (can be specified in the project file, although the user can always resize), and the formatting characteristics of your help text.

Here's a "for instance": The text following an internal target occupies about 6 lines of the help window (as sized when the user opens it). The help window holds about 20 lines (as sized when the user opens it). When you jump to the internal target, the first 14 lines of the help window will show the information that precedes the target, and the last 6 lines will show the information that the user really wants.

Moral: Always include enough hard returns (or whatever) at the end of a topic with internal targets so that the last target will display at the top of the window when called. Can look dopey, but puts the information where it counts.

Cheers,
Ann Fothergill-Brown
Senior Editor
NIVA Inc.