Trade show/promo

Subject: Trade show/promo
From: "Suzanne A. Hosie" <suzy -at- WOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:59:49 +0000

Thank you to all of you who helped me out with deciding what to call my
promo materials. The show was a great success and I thought some of you
might be interested to hear what we did and how well received it was.

This was a meeting of the San Diego Software Industry Council. Every March
they have this mini tradeshow where Council members can show off their
wares. It's a big deal - 500-700 estimated attendance at this one, the
mayor was there, etc. Membership in the Council is mostly software
companies, but also includes service providers (there are a few tech
writers). There were 40 tables for vendor exhibits.

We got our new logo done just in time, new business cards and letterhead.
We had a sign made with our logo on it. And we put up a backdrop that
advertised a FREE documentation analysis - we'll come to some lucky company
and tell them what's wrong with their documentation and make
recommendations for improvement. Visitors filled our fish bowl with
business cards for this drawing. Our "fact sheets" were labeled "Services"
and were very popular - printed on letterhead, they looked great. We had a
lot of interest and quite the variety of offers - book writing, curriculum
development for local university, usability testing, one guy who grabbed a
card and as he was walking away said "I need to recommend you to my client.
Their product is great but their documentation is @#$%^!."

If you're self employed, independent, a contractor, whatever, I would
highly recommend doing something like this if the opportunity presents
itself. We don't know exactly what kind of business it will generate but it
got me very inspired about our possibilities for growth.