When One has a Passion

Subject: When One has a Passion
From: Ruth Miller <rumi -at- N2 -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 22:20:30 -0800

The arguments about who's more valuable tech writers or engineers based on salaries is a reflection of our cultures. I do a lot of work for non-profits in addition to my technical documentation work. Non-profit types are poorly paid. My values are certainly not that people who help the poor and fight serious adversity and monumental forces lead less valuable career lives than do techies simply because they are underpaid. The demands and rewards in their lives are very great indeed.

I think the value of life choices lies in the passion one a person has for that choice. If one loves writing one writes. If one loves puzzles one is inclined to math games, engineering and programming. When people have passion for their work - whatever it may be - they are usually damned good at it (but not necessarily well paid for it).

It is not the intrinsic worth of the career choices that determines pay. It is arrogance and narcissistic patting oneself on the back that leads those who society overpays to consider themselves to be more valuable or their work to be more demanding, meaningful and rewarding. It's a silly argument. It's beneath us, I believe.