Re: Signage guidance

Subject: Re: Signage guidance
From: wongword -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 06:37:12 +1000

--

> My latest assignment is to write signage guidelines for our corporate
> communications handbook. These will be used for signs at our various
> company locations, including office buildings and field drillsites. My
> starting materials are some documentation from an architectural firm and
> lots of "do & don't" photographs.
>
> Any suggestions for issues I should address or recommended references?
> Thanks, Elsa
***************************
Elsa
If any of your signs are about health and safety issues then the
esponsibility you are assuming is great.

You should check out the statutory requirements of your national and/or
state occ health and safety authority. There may also be requirements
from a body which looks after the storage and transport of dangerous
goods.

To complicate matters even more, the legal requirements may, no that
should say "certainly will", differ between states. I know I live in a
country with a Federal set up. Wonder how they are coping in the
European Community?

There has been LOTS of research done by human factors experts on occ
health and safety signs. You will find many articles in human
factors/ergonomics jourmals and in proceedings of their annual
conferences. Also obviously check out occ health and safety journals and
research papers. Look out for homepages of your Occ health bodies for
some more references.

Irene Wong
Editor, Australian Securities Commission, Sydney and previously
senior editor at Australia's National Health and Safety Commission
(Worksafe)