Re: Writers' Wish List--Summary (Long)

Subject: Re: Writers' Wish List--Summary (Long)
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:36:55 -0800

In the summary, someone wrote:

snip<And, I'll throw in the advice I give to reviewers. Make your
comments as specific as possible,
use questions as little as possible, and ...>snip

I'm not sure who wrote this section, but I wondered why they said "use
questions as little as possible." I often use questions as a way to
suggest changes or new information, or as a way to indicate a section
needs more clarity and give a little guidance. Perhaps there are better
ways to do this?

Maybe we're talking about different types of editing. Most of mine
involves editing technical writing done by programmers--I often don't
have the ability to add new information or resolve questions that come
up during reading. I have to ask questions. The problem I've found is
that questions, as opposed to suggestions or outright changes, garner
the least amount of response.