FWD: HTML Help vs. Net Help

Subject: FWD: HTML Help vs. Net Help
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:53:35 PST

Forwarded on request:

--- On Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:26:57 -0600 Bill Bledsoe <Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- hera -dot- cms-stl -dot- com> wrote:

ALL,

More on HTML-based help:

<MOLLY ASKED>

-----------
> Hi Molly,

<MELANIE WROTE SOME GOOD STUFF HERE>

> Melanie Futrell

> Melanie Paschetag Futrell
> Sr. Documentation Analyst
> Computer Language Reseach, Inc.
> Melanie_Futrell -at- clr -dot- com

We're busy authoring NetHelp for a UNIX application, and while intially
functionality is similar to WinHelp... you still lose some features you
might want (what's this, true popups). The key with NetHelp is that all
of its features will work in browsers that are at least HTML 3.2
capable. HTMLHelp has to work with MSIE in order to take advantage of
some of its more WinHelp-like features.

Might I suggest Molly and all and additional resource to the fine list
Melanie gave:

1. The WinHelp-l list and archives have a lot of posts about each
platform... and the latest news that the authors are hearing. Check out
www.documenation.com for the archives.

2. I've cc'd the folks at Netscape in on this message. You might try
contacting them, and Ralph Walden from MS as well. I will say, that the
Netscape camp has been remarkably silent on NetHelp since the SDK came
out last year. NS are you listening? We'd like an update on when we
can expect some additional functionality.

Bottom line, NS NetHelp is still less browser specific... but it doesn't
integrate all of the WinHelp features that HTMLHelp does. The trade off
right now is that you have to use MSIE if you want WinHelp like
functionality. Of course, if your application is UNIX based like ours,
and you want to author HTML as your help vehicle, your are limited to
only NetHelp. MSIE doesn't run on the UNIX platform... and the
scuttlebutt is that it never will. (NOTE: Yes, you certainly could use
Bristol's HyperHelp as a UNIX Help option.)

Clear as mud? Good luck!
Bill Bledsoe
Senior Technical Writer - CMS
St. Louis, MO
Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- cms-stl -dot- com or intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com
webmaster: St. Louis Chapter - STC <www.stc.org/region6/stl>

"The Internet is the first thing that
humanity has built that humanity doesn't
understand," Eric Schmidt, CTO Sun 10/18/96