Re: Typoz in Resumes

Subject: Re: Typoz in Resumes
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:19:15 PST

>Are the people doing the hiring actually getting stacks of reasonably
>well organized resumes that show appropriate background and skills, and
>do they have time to line-edit resumes? Neither was the case when I was
>involved in hiring writers.

Not last year in Tulsa, Oklahoma, we weren't getting
"stacks of reasonably well-organized resumes." There's no
need to line edit when the resume and cover letter fail
to demonstrate technical competence, writing competence,
relevant experience, or an understanding of what a senior
technical writer at a high-tech company might need to do.

That was the point (mine, unfortunately) that I was trying
to make initially. *Glaring* typos are yet another criteria
on which resumes are often screened, but if the resume is
either irrelevant or completely content-free, typos are just
another nail in the coffin.

Eric