Re: HTML-based Help?

Subject: Re: HTML-based Help?
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:48:35 -0600

Molly wrote:
> Does anyone know of a tool that you can use to create context-sensitive,
> HTML-based online help that is *not* browser dependent?
>
> I've been reading up on NetHelp, but I'd like to find something similar that
> doesn't require the user to have a particular kind of browser on their system.
>
> Molly
> molly_hovorka -at- cybercash -dot- com

Hi, Molly--

We're starting from FrameMaker and using Fusion, by NetObjects
(www.netobjects.com) to create the pages in HTML. Fusion is an
object-oriented package that treats parts of the HTML page as if they
were objects. It allows you to maintain your pages without touching
HTML. To the best of my knowledge, Fusion uses HTML 3, so browsers
shouldn't be a problem.

The caveat (and as I look at your question, this may rule Fusion out for
you) is that Fusion is purely HTML-based (although you never actually
see or touch the HTML). It is not designed to do exactly what NetHelp
and HTMLHelp do (at least I don't think it is).

Chris
--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel

"The essence of greatness is the preception that virtue is enough." --
Ralph Waldo Emerson