Re: Interview Question

Subject: Re: Interview Question
From: "Accentuated Brandname Creativity, Inc." <acreatyv -at- SATURN -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 19:33:12 -0500

>>When interviewing, how many of you came across this question:
>>
>>What is your biggest weakness and why?

Debbie Molinaro theorizes and comments:

>1) Chocolate, for obvious reasons.
>2) I can't sing: genetics.

>I would hire someone who responded that way, but don't know if it would fly
>with other managers.

A sense of humor matters to the Genial hiring manager. Others are Pretty
Good/Mostly Alright, Rats, or X-heads (if you catch my drift). If rapport
matters to both hiring manager and candidate, or to neither, things may go
well; if it matters only to one, but the candidate is hired anyway, things
are likely to go badly.

D.R. responds:

>saying "chocolate" is almost too creative for such a technical position.

Debbie manages the tech pubs department of a research outfit (BTW what's
the URL, Debbie?), not a manufacturing shop floor. What's too creative?

>I would think that most employers are not as creative in their thinking
>as you, AND I also think that most would feel that if they said
>something like that that they would be kicked out.

Corporate cultures and candidates' styles vary greatly, and may or may not
be compatible. Debbie's attitude is unusual, but not unique.

Chuck Brandstater
acreatyv -at- saturn -dot- net