Resumes and Interviews

Subject: Resumes and Interviews
From: Henry Crews-AHC001 <Henry_Crews-AHC001 -at- EMAIL -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:09:52 -0600

Bruce Byfield wrote:

>Unless you're the president of a Fortune 500 company, a one page resume is
unlikely to convince anyone to hired you.

>But the proper length for a resume is very idiosyncratic.

Amy Smith responded

>I agree. And I've seen horrible resumes with heaps of information
squashed onto one page, because the writer has "one page resume"
engraved in his/her brain.

>I'm more concerned about being able to read the information easily, than I
am about flipping pages.

>And you know what also gets my attention? A well-crafted resume on nice,
crisp, heavy Cranes stationery. I know, I know...scanners and faxes and
email (oh my!) are easier and faster, but there's something about the weight
and feel of good stationery....

I also use fountain pens, so there. ;-) :-)

I agree with the well crafted part, but I hope my chances of getting an
interview (at least on the phone) never rests on whether someone reads or
doesn't read my resume, or perhaps reads another candidate's resume more
intently, based on the feel of the paper.

As for what to include on a resume, it seems simple to me (of course I do
realize that one person's common sense isn't everyone's). I use a basic
communications technique, decide who my audience is and what is relevent for
them to know. Personally I can't imagine not tailoring my resume for each
specific situation. I guess this philosphy goes against posting a resume
online but you can't be everything to everyone. Be breif but consise and
creative enough to make them have to call you, at least.

My last comment is based on the interviewing theme. If someone asks me where
I see myself in 5 years I usually tell them I don't know, because most of
the time I don't. If they are playing some psycho-babble interviewing game I
probably don't want to work for them anyway.
Henry Crews