Interview questions

Subject: Interview questions
From: Megan Elizabeth Mc Macken <S1057984 -at- CEDARNET -dot- CEDARVILLE -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 13:55:58 -0500

Greetings, everyone!

I'm going to graduate in June, so I'm starting to look for job openings and
prepare for job interviews. It seems that one of the favorite questions of
all interviewers is, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Where do
people get the idea that that's a good interview question? I'm just
finishing college, and I really have no idea where I'll be in five years.
I haven't had a real technical writing job yet, so I'm after a job where
I'll have a chance to get some solid experience in the technical writing
field. My first job will greatly influence my goals for five years from
now.

How have the rest of you responded to this type of question in an
interview? I want to be ethical and as honest as possible, but I feel like
I'll come across poorly if I tell them, "You know, I honestly have no idea
where I'll be in five years. I could make all sorts of plans and set any
number of goals, but those things could be changed in a day by
circumstances beyond my control."

Suggestions? Advice? Personal experience?

Thanks,
Megan