Re: Life Priorities

Subject: Re: Life Priorities
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:25:40 -0600

>Mitch Berg, you have my standing ovation on your dedication to your family.
>
>Michael Wing, just as Mitch wondered, I wonder too: do you have a family?
> Wife and children? Some of us simply cannot be very productive if we don't
>strike a balance between family and work. I work an average of 8 1/2 - 9 hrs
>week, and am glad to go home to my three children in time to catch some
>daylight and take them to the park.

In answer to these questions;

Yes I have a family; My parents recently moved down south (actually just
5 miles away) when they retired.

Yes, I have a wife (married 5 years)

No, I do not have children. I never wanted any. I guess even if you're
undecided if you want any, you shouldn't. It's too late after having
them to decide that maybe you shouldn't have. With me, I can't say that
I've even had the fleeting thought of "I wonder if I should have had
children".

But this is the double-edged question. If I have children, then my
nose-to-the-grindstone work ethic would be deemed negligent of family
and a case of misplaced priorities. If I don't have children then it's
a case of "I thought so".

I'm not advocating that anyone neglect or abandon their family to do
their job. I am saying that most companies act in their own self
interests. If they have a job that requires 50+ hour weeks for long
durations, they serve themselves and the applicant's best interests by
stating that there are long hours and pressure with the job. Therefore,
a family-person may pass up on the job before applying. Whereas, a
non-family person, such as myself, may relish such a position.

Mike Wing