Re[2]: How not to attract staff!

Subject: Re[2]: How not to attract staff!
From: Don Smith <dsmith -at- ACCESSBEYOND -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:12:27 EST

Chris Hamilton wrote, in part:

"I work to have money to do other things, not because it defines who I
am. To paraphrase Dr. Laura, I am my kid's (soon to be kids') father.
I am my wife's husband. I am also a technical writer. If that makes me
unprofessional or anything, then so be it.</SOAPBOX>"

Chris, I agree whole heatedly with you! This is one of the industries
where the worker *is* expected to do "whatever is necessary to get the
job done" (which translated = "do whatever the powers over you want
you to do to get the job done when it will make them look good and get
their nice, big, fat, bonus (that you don't get!)).

I think this is true because there is this feeling by others, that
because we all go to school and take English, that it follows that we
are all "writers". No one knows better then we, the Technical Writer,
how wrong that is!

Thanks for saying it better, Chris.

MOO

Don Smith