Re[2]: Intuitive vs Familiar (was minimalism)

Subject: Re[2]: Intuitive vs Familiar (was minimalism)
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 16:47:00 -0600

My point was that "intuitive" is not used to describe "intuitive"
things but to describe "familiar"(to some) things and that we
would all be better off if we used "familiar" instead of "intuitive"
because we would recognize that what is familiar to one group
is not necessarily familiar to another. "Intuitive" seems
to denote some universal, human knowledge or process.

The problem is that "familiar" brings its own baggage to the party. I'm not
"familiar" with a Ferrari Testarossa, but I bet I could drive it if you gave
me one. ;{>}

As Dan pointed out, the process we're describing is neither intuition nor
familiarity, but inference. But somehow, calling an interface "inferrable"
just doesn't cut it. (Did anyone else out there gag on that word?) Until I
can find a better one, "intuitive" seems to fit better than the rest.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224